REVIEW:IF NOT 4 U AND SOME SHOES

DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED THIS PRODUCT IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

Hello Everyone! Today, I have a unique review with a little surprise. Normally on this blog, I review and talk about fashion, beauty, and occasionally lifestyle. I am so excited to be able to review a book! At the end of this review, I also have a special interview that I had with the author, Laurie Nenson. I loved this book! This book contained two things I love, reading and fashion. While following the life of Fancie, the reader is taken on a journey to Italy and beyond. The diction is amazing! I really felt like I was with Francie throughout this excellent novel. But dont take it from me,  pick yourself up a copy. This makes an awesome Christmas Present. And now, please enjoy and exclusive interview with Laurie Nenson:

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself and your background?

I’m Canadian; I’m married, and have two sons. I’m a professional interior designer, a dabbling artist, a voracious reader, and an orchid lover (despite the fact that I suck at growing them). One day, a few years ago, I decided I was going to write a book, and with the help of instruction manuals, workshops and online tutorials, I willed myself to make it happen.

2. What were you like when you were Francie’s age?

I was a lot like Francie: petite, brunette, brown-eyed, artsy, with one older sister and one younger sister. I studied classical piano and read many novels. I was obsessed with music and concert-going. I was a cheerleader. I hung out with a fun group of friends, and I had a sweet and cute boyfriend that, like Francie, I first caught sight of while he was playing football in a park.

3. Were you good at English?

Yes, back in high school I was strong in English, which probably stemmed from the fact that my British maternal grandparents taught my mother very proper English, and she passed that skill down to my sisters and me. Which might be why I have some unusual words in my vocabulary, like: chesterfield (meaning: sofa), trousers (meaning: pants); neither (pronounced nigh-ther, not knee-ther), and ruddy (a British slang term synonymous with damned).

4. What are your ambitions for your writing career?

My aspiration is, simply, to entertain readers with the imaginative stories I cull from my brain. There are a lot of them floating at any given time, so my challenge will be to channel as many as possible of them onto the written page.

5. Have you written anything else?

Yes, a few years ago I published a middle-grade magical-realism adventure entitled The Anemara Orchid—a limited-release novel with accompanying artwork and a website, www.elancera.com. It’s meant to be part of a cute, fun, girl-power series that I hope to, someday, revisit.

6. Are you working on anything right now?

Yes, I have a several efforts on the go:

First: a follow-up novel to IF NOT 4 U and Some Shoes entitled IF NOT 4 U and a Karner Blue … the tale of a seventeen-year-old girl involved in an accident that puts her in a coma. While in that state of unconsciousness, she has an unusual out-of-body, surreal encounter with a rare and dying butterfly.

It’s also a love story between the lead character and a heartthrob guy who witnesses the accident.

Second: a novel based on my mother’s young-adult life before she met and married my father. During that time period, she was living a life that no one knew about, resulting in a secret that she took to her grave. Recently, the truth surfaced, and because it’s so bizarre I feel compelled to put it into words. The title is Under the White Hat.

Third: a weekly blog involving a variety of topics, including: my writing experiences, my shoe-wearing fiascos, my orchid-growing challenges, and a Facebook group I started called Dimpled Earlobe People that has yet to attract a single member.

All of the lighthearted entries can be browsed on the website www.IfNot4UandSomeShoes.com, or on Twitter @LaurieNenson.

7. How much research did you do before writing your book, IF NOT 4 U and Some Shoes?

I researched subjects like fashion design schools in New York; the culture of Florence, Italy (I’ve been there twice, so I had my own experiences to draw from); shoe terminology; shoe design; shoe manufacturing; and high school studies abroad.

8. When did you decide to become a writer?

In the midst of my career as an interior designer (creating offices, retail spaces, restaurants, dental clinics, etc., for others), I had a desire to create something for myself. So I began devoting time to various forms of artwork, which led to the facial images associated with magical world of Elancera. From those visuals, I came up with the idea for a series of novels and started scribbling potential story lines on sticky notes. Soon, the words starting stringing together, and The Anemara Orchid was born.

9. Why do you write?

I write because I love it, because it comes naturally to me, and because it’s the most creatively satisfying activity I’ve experienced.

There’s a famous line that applies to how I feel about writing: If you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life.

10. What inspired you to write this book?

Well, I am pretty crazy about shoes (which proved useful when writing 100,000 words on the subject), but the actual inspiration came by way of a cute compliment directed at a pair of sandals I was wearing, that got me thinking about the fact that shoes often reflect the wearer, and that shoes are a great way to express oneself (like all fashion is), which led to the notion of this ideal shoe—the one that, when you walk into a room wearing it, paints a perfect picture. With that in mind, I developed a concept for a ‘soul search’ disguised as a ‘shoe search,’ and then opened my laptop.

11. Is there anything else you would like to add about your book that I did not include?

A tidbit about my novel writing is that I’ve made a habit of featuring orchids in the story lines. If you read my blog entry, ORCHIDS: If You Can’t Grow ‘Em, Say F*%k It, and Write About ‘Em, you’ll learn the silly reason why.

12. How can readers discover more about you and your work?

Via the following online links:

www.IfNot4UandSomeShoes.com www.laurienenson.com www.elancera.com

Twitter: @laurienenson

Instagram: @laurienenson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: CARVED

REVIEW: FUNKYCHUNKY

REVIEW: DYEHOUSE